Who are we?
The Swarthmore CO-OP is the third oldest food cooperative in the country, with a long history of serving as a community anchor and beloved neighborhood grocery store for both its members as well as non-member shoppers — “anyone can shop and anyone can join.” We place a strong emphasis on providing local and sustainably-grown/raised items and maintaining our important role as a full-service community grocery store. The CO-OP has approximately $6M in annual revenues and about 40 employees.
The Swarthmore CO-OP offers medical, dental, retirement, vacation and holiday benefits to eligible employees.
The team at Swarthmore CO-OP values diversity, and is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, national heritage, age (over 40), religion, sexual orientation or gender identity. We look forward to meeting you.
Be part of something bigger at the Swarthmore Co-op!
The Swarthmore Co-op is a one-of-a-kind cooperative food market in Delaware County looking for full-time team members for our high-performing Produce and Grocery teams. We focus on local, organic and sustainable foods, and promoting healthy lifestyles to our community. Our goal is to make our customers’ shopping experience uniquely gratifying, and second to none. Moreover, we offer a friendly, progressive work environment with good benefits, and great learning opportunities.
[Please note: We prefer applicants with weekend availability, who are at least 18 years of age, and have a minimum educational level of a high school diploma or GED. These roles can involve physical activity including standing, moving and lifting for continuous periods of up to 4 hours.]
Senior Produce Team Member
A Produce Team Member’s top priority is the preparation and merchandising of a superior selection of the best available produce, and includes work with our fast-growing floral and plant department. As a senior team member, you’ll use your experience to make the Co-op a great place to shop by:
- Working with local vendors to bring in the best produce and best value year-around for our customers
- Using your knowledge of fruit and vegetable growing and ripening cycles to prepare produce for effective merchandising, display and sale
- Providing effective information about produce uses, varieties, origin, prices, and recipes to customers
- Ensuring produce is received, stored and maintained properly in coolers and on the retail floor
- Researching new vendors and products, and working to creatively promote produce products through in-store signage, website promotion, and special events
- Mentoring junior Produce Team Members in developing produce knowledge, skills, and enthusiasm.
Grocery Team Member
Our Grocery Team Members ensure that our shoppers are met with a fully-stocked, well-merchandised grocery section that supports healthy living in our community. Our shoppers rely on our high-energy Grocery team to:
- Know our full line of healthy food products, our grocery floor lay-out, and safe stocking techniques
- Make recommendations to customers about the best products to meet individual nutrition and lifestyle needs (we’ll go the extra mile to meet a unique product need for a shopper)
- Learn the basics of creative merchandising for all of our grocery products including dairy, frozen, and general merchandise
- Always provide up-to-date, accurate pricing information on products
- Ensure that grocery products are stored, organized, stocked and shelved effectively
- Participate in the selection and marketing of new products, and in special event