Who are we?
The Swarthmore CO-OP is the third oldest food cooperative in the country, with a long history of serving as a community anchor and beloved neighborhood grocery store for both its members as well as non-member shoppers — “anyone can shop and anyone can join.” We place a strong emphasis on providing local and sustainably-grown/raised items and maintaining our important role as a full-service community grocery store. The CO-OP has approximately $6M in annual revenues and about 40 employees.
The Swarthmore CO-OP offers medical, dental, retirement, vacation and holiday benefits to eligible employees.
The team at Swarthmore CO-OP values diversity, and is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, national heritage, age (over 40), religion, sexual orientation or gender identity. We look forward to meeting you.
Customer Service Associate
The Swarthmore Co-op is a one of a kind food market in Delaware County looking to fill a part/full time crew member.
What is your role?
A customer service team member’s priority is precisely that—Customer Service! The value this role creates is central to the Co-op mission, and you’ll ensure that each and every shopper visiting the store is treated with respect, attention, and care. As a cashier and customer service team member, you will be handling customer purchases, providing information about membership and events and creating a friendly, local feel for the store and the shopping experience. Accuracy and attention to detail are key in this position.
What we need from you —
- Maintain a sense of energy in the store by taking initiative to do what’s needed.
- Greet customers in a welcoming, warm way.
- Perform check-out activities for customer and member/owner purchases quickly and accurately.
- Help customers navigate through the store and assist in finding back stock items when needed
- Become familiar with our Co-op products, policies and procedures.
- Become knowledgeable about the store and be the best resource possible to field customer questions.
- Demonstrate reliability and professionalism in your work habits and appearance.
- Help maintain a clean and well-kept environment throughout the store and outside dining areas.
- Respond to phone inquiries in a friendly and professional manner.
- Demonstrate an ability to accurately handle cash and maintain accountability for it.
What You Offer in Skills and Qualifications —
- You have availability to work during the week and on weekends.
- You can maintain a positive, can-do attitude despite daily pressures.
- You offer the ability to wear multiple hats and multi-task effectively.
- You easily demonstrate outgoing, professional communication skills.
- You are attentive to detail and accuracy, and don’t mind the daily rigors of handling cash.
- You enjoy and take pride in going the extra mile to provide outstanding customer service.
Desired Background and Experience —
- Must have some cashiering experience
- Prior retail experience preferred but not required.
- Must be 18 years of age.
Please respond to this ad with your resume, cover letter and desired rate of pay by emailing all required information to [email protected].
*Also please note this is not seasonal position, the Co-op is looking for someone who is available to work throughout the year.