Swarthmore Co-op Member Benefits
An Investment in Our Community's Future
How to Join ...
It's easier than ever to join the Co-op. You can join online or pick up an application in the store during your next shopping trip. We have several payment plans for your $300.00 investment and you can pay by cash, check or credit. A household-wide, life-time long membership for just a ONE-TIME FEE!
Benefits of Membership
• Business Partnership Discounts
Show your Key Tag to participating businesses and receive a discount. Click here or on the keytag image for businesses
• Member Appreciation Days
You will receive 10% off all purchases on Member Appreciation Days, which are held quarterly.
• 10 for 30 Member Specials
Each month, the Co-op has a themed member-only special, offering ten items to members at a discounted rate.
• Member Events & Classes
The Co-op brings together members and friends of the Co-op with regular events, classes and trips. Offered at a special rate to members.
• Special Orders Buying Club
You can special order large quantities and bulk items at discounted prices.
• Home Delivery on Tuesdays and Thursdays
$7 delivery charge
• Prepaid Personal House Account
$250 minimum deposit
• Voting privileges in Board elections and participation in Co-op governances
• Eligibility to Serve on the Board
• Shareholder of the Co-op
Having a vested interest in a local, sustainable business and supporting the local economy
• Patronage Rebate
If earnings are sufficient in a fiscal year, you will receive a patronage dividend based upon individual or household purchases.
Beyond what Members get, however, the Swarthmore Co-op also focuses on what Members GIVE by owning part of the Co-op:
• Local farmers the ability to make a living and provide real, fresh, better tasting food of which you are the benefactor
• The earth a better chance
• Employment opportunities to over 40 local people
• A partnership in promoting food safety
• The Co-op the ability to have outreach programs for the community
• Support to your local economy
• The Co-op the chance to act as a community hub for events and classes
• The creation of community
• Other local businesses the opportunity to use the co-op as a boost to their business through purchasing and partnership
What are you waiting for?
It's time to join over 1,200 members of the Swarthmore Co-op!
If you have any questions concerning membership, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Food co-ops can have a wide range of benefits. They include:
Health benefits - food co-ops can:
Increase access to affordable fruit and vegetables and other healthy foods.
Help raise awareness of the benefits of eating a healthy diet.
Improve well-being in volunteers - gain increased self esteem, confidence and a sense of purpose.
Environmental benefits - food co-ops can:
Increase the supply of local and organic produce.
Make it easier for people to shop by foot or by bike by providing outlets in residential areas.
Provide food that often has less packaging, and therefore generates less waste.
Social benefits - food co-ops can:
Engage local people in their community, which may then lead on to other activities.
Act as a focal point for local people to meet up and make new friends.
Help to revitalise community facilities.
Provide a more sociable place to shop.
Economic benefits - food co-ops can:
Help to support local producers and more ethical suppliers by providing an outlet for their goods.
Keep money circulating in the local economy.
Offer volunteers new skills and work experience.